Thursday, December 11, 2008

-l-><-I- speak


<rant>

A couple things went through my head when reading the article on text speak. I am a person that hates text speech. And I think you should be professional when you write an employer. Going 4 years through collage just to talk to your employer as if you are a ten-year-old teenybopper is a waste of an education. I wish the abbreviated term for laugh out loud ( I refuse to write it) would die a slow and miserable death. I hate how I cannot tell whether or not someone is taking the lords name in vain or just saying gosh when they write omg. In addition, I hate how people want to text me a thousand messages instead of just calling me. The other day a coworker texted me to try to get me to take the trash out which was something they could have told me in person. I think 99 percent of the text messages sent are useless crap, and often times I end up having to call the person that is texting me, because I cannot tell what the person meant. There is no tone to a text message, so it is hard sometimes to understand whether someone is serious or not. But instead of that person just calling they think it is ok to slap a :) or an :( or something else that does not even look like a face in the message for good measure. Yes text speak is sometimes a pet peeve of mine. Sometimes it is useful but most of the time it makes you unclear. But what I hate more than txt speak is L337 or leet speak. L337 speak is used when someone replaces letters with numbers. Like if, I were to write _/3phph instead of Jeff. L337 speak is not shorter and it is harder to understand. The only reason people write that way is to try to be cool. Let me just say this right now. It is not cool.

</rant>

Damn it.


Gallagher, Fred. Speak L337? [L337-Speak megatoyko]. Digital image. Megatokyo. 1 Sept. 200. Megatoyko. 11 Dec. 2008 .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home