Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My time in English 111

If I am going to remember anything about my English 111 class, it would have to be the first day. I remember walking in on time and waiting for the instructor show up. Looking around the classroom, everyone around me looked tired, grumpy, and anti-social. No one was talking, many people had their head on their desk, and the class was filled with an awkward silence. Soon enough the ice was broken when a strange student asked what everyone was thinking. "Does anybody know how long we have to wait for the instructor to show up?" I think someone said he thought it was ten minutes, but otherwise the class was still somewhat silent. Eventually someone got up and left and at that point that just got out of bed looking student that seemed like he was anxious to jump back in to bed revealed himself to be the teacher. At that point I knew that class was going to be different. I finally had a class that did not have a teacher that could be my grandfather. I remember him introducing himself and telling the class how he was like us, that he himself went to community college and had a rough start. That was something relatable to me because I was a 20 year old in a class with a bunch of seventeen and eighteen-year olds. Having a teacher around my age tell me that they went through a similar situation and made it gave me hope and gave me that extra discipline to do well. This was the second time I took English 111, so I needed all the discipline in the world to get the work done. As the weeks went on in the class, the class became closer and closer. Everyone got to know each other and become friends, something that, I think, is really rare in college. One of the best things I learned in the class actually had nothing to do with English. Watching Supersized Me disgusted me. That movie opened my eyes and made me eat healthier. I actually lost a lot of weight by listening to the movie. I gave up drinking soda and started eating healthier and so far, I lost 20 pounds. One of the funniest times in the class was when we arranged our chairs in a circle and cracked jokes about the different sexes. It was after that class I knew I could say anything in the class, and I did. The rhetorical analysis presentation on Katt Williams could have got me an F or even kicked out of any other class. The video I showed had abrupt racial stereotypes and every other word was an expletive, yet no one was offended and practically everyone loved it. Even though the class was fun, the education I received was excellent too. In other English classes a teacher would have you study text books on grammar and take quizzes on verbs and noun. They would make you study so much that you'd hate being literate. Mr. gasparo class was the only english class I've ever had where I actually enjoyed writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home