Wednesday, December 10, 2008

30 Days…without soda


Watching supersized me in class was a real eye opener for me. I was surprised at just how in depth the documentary was on the obesity epidemic. It showed nearly all the factors that go into obesity in America, such as massive advertisements for junk food, our sedentary lifestyle, the crap we eat both in school and by choice. It made me examine my life and gave me that little extra motivation to be healthy. I found that I rarely, maybe once every couple of months, go to a fast food restaurant. But I found that I was probably addicted to something the documentary criticized, soda. I found that I was drinking a two-liter or more of soda every day. I challenged myself to quit drinking soda cold turkey just to see if I could. It turned out to be easy. Water, pure water, not water I had after drinking soda the same day, tasted excellent. Kicking the soda habit had great health benefits for me. Without the caffeine and aspartame in my system, I noticed that I got better sleep and was more alert the next day. In addition, even though the soda I gave up was diet and had no calories, I still lost weight, 20 pounds so far since I gave up soda two and a half months ago. Finding out just how much soda effected me, I wondered something. If I actually prefer water to soda where I once, despised it, how much of the decision to drink soda was my own? After all, is it not easier to get soda than water? Don't you have to pull that tab down on the soda fountain to get water? Water that tastes like crap because it comes out of the same nozzle the soda comes out of. In addition, the restaurant gave you a kiddy cup because they do not believe that you would actually want their water. I do not think, at least for me, the choice to drink soda was pure free will. To sum up this blog entry I found through personal experience that many of the claims made in Supersize Me were horrifyingly accurate.

Fitzpatrick, Brad. Movie Soda [Big soda cup]. Digital image. Big Gulp | Drawings & Sketches. 5 Nov. 2005. BradFitzPatrick.com. 11 Dec. 2008

1 Comments:

At December 11, 2008 at 2:23 PM , Blogger Paul G. said...

I hate how the water cups are so small during the rare times I eat at one of these fast food franchises or chains.

I really like the way you explain how it's as if they don't believe anyone'd want to drink their water.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home